Sunday, July 3, 2016

Continuing the Journey with Olaparib

It has now been one month since taking Olaparib.  16 pills per day for 30 days.  Morning and night.  Thank goodness for alarms on phones.  Before I take Olaparib I take another pill one hour before in preparation.  Then after the Olaparib I must wait 2 more hours to take some other pills I was taking before. So many pills.  In my former like (before cancer), I did not take any pills except for vitamins which I still take.

I have not had many side effects from this medication.  I have some fatigue from time to time but it is pretty minor.  Whether this treatment is working or not will not be known until after a CT Scan scheduled for July 25th.

My main issue is with ascites which has not subsided.  I have had 2 more paracentesis since my last blog entry where they drained off 4 litres of fluid each time.  That is 8 pounds that I was carrying around.  My clothes do not fit properly and it is just damn uncomfortable.  Instead of going to Toronto once per month for a check in I need to go every 2 weeks so they can keep tabs on the ascites.  I hope these pill are doing the job as intended and that the ascites subsides.  Makes it quite difficult to plan a wardrobe that does not include waistless garments.......

Enough of my whining......  A close acquaintance is in Toronto who is close to the end of life.  She has suffered with Ovarian Cancer for the past 4 or 5 years.  A Canadian living in Spain, this past winter she decided to come back to Ontario for continued treatment at Princess Margaret.  Unfortunately, she developed an obstruction in the small intestine and has been mostly in hospital for this.  She has been on TPN with no food or fluids by mouth.


We met through mutual friends and family while in Barcelona a couple of years ago.  She was healthier and vibrant at that time.  She took time out of her schedule and showed us some of the sights which we will forever remember.    I wish I could have known her better but life waits for no one and we must do our living while we can.


Beautiful resort town of Sitges

No comments:

Post a Comment