Sunday, January 12, 2014

Happy New Year! - 5th Treatment of Doxil

The day after my Dad's funeral I had a CT Scan.  Imagine my delight when the Dr. told me the results the very next day.  She had good news that the visible masses of the previous scan were no longer there.  Great news.  This could mean that after the 5th and 6th Doxil treatment I could get a break from chemo for awhile.  How long?  Who knows but I am hoping for a lengthy reprieve!  Dad is smiling down at me!

Doxil apparently is doing the job but these side effects are brutal.  See my December 7th post.  Doxil apparently is a one trick pony.  According to the Dr. I can only have it once because it can damage the heart with prolonged use.  After the 6th dose I will probably not have it again if I recur and I probably will.  But there are other drugs out there and I don't want to get acquainted with any of them anytime soon.

In the meantime I had my 5th treatment on January 10th and the sixth dose will be around February 7th.  After this, taking care of myself will be top priority as it generally is.  Do you think I sit around all day eating Cheetos and drinking beer?  :) I will continue with good eating habits, more organic produce and more activity.  We will probably plan a trip or two.  Who knows?  It has been a long time since I have felt this optimistic!

Happy New Year!

4 comments:

  1. Thinking of you so often, my dear. It is sad to have heard of your Dad's passing, and my heartfelt thoughts are with your family. I am pleased to see the "upswing update" on your own treatment response; I'm sure that helps to lighten your Mom's heart a bit too!

    Much love,

    Kathy Hicks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! It has been a tough time. But we move forward as best we can. Hope you are enjoying your retirement. Congratulations!

      Delete
  2. Atta girl Monsoon. You will have to send us post cards from France.

    Robert

    ReplyDelete