Sunday, April 20, 2014

5th International Symposium on Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer: Twenty Years of Advances

This Tuesday I am travelling to Montreal to attend a BRCA symposium.  This event coincides with the 20 year anniversary of the discovery of the BRCA gene mutation.  For 3 days this international symposium brings together clinicians, researchers and medical personnel to talk about hereditary breast and ovarian cancer.  This scientific conference is arranged by the Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer Foundation.

A feature of this symposium is a day for lay people.  This all day event is designed for people living with the BRCA mutation and the agenda provides to up to date research and clinical information.  It is open to anyone with an interest in this field.

My objective is to learn all I can about BRCA mutation and to hopefully network with some of the researchers and clinicians.  I also hope to meet other people who are in my situation and learn about their own experiences.


For those of you not familiar with BRCA genes, here is a short video that clearly explains the mutations I have been talking about.


No comments:

Post a Comment