Monday, April 7, 2014

I Have a Meeting with Dr. Amit Oza at Princess Margaret

My visit with the oncologist on March 28th relayed the results of the CT Scan taken on March 21st.  Scan is showing a growth of about an inch in the upper left hand abdomen and nodules of disease on the peritoneum.  Still looks ok based on the scans from January but something is happening and it is raising the CA 125 numbers.

Our discussions centred on getting me into a clinical trial.  Princess Margaret is still on the radar as my oncologist was told another doctor was being consulted regarding my condition.  PARP inhibitors are the new treatments on the horizon and still in trial phase.  Some trials have had great results and if I can get into one that would be awesome.

Couple of days ago my oncologist called to say that Dr. Amit Oza was interested in my case and in meeting me.  She confirmed his interest in me is because of the type of ovarian cancer I have, the BRCA2 mutation I carry and that I am platinum sensitive.  A meeting has been arranged for April 14th.  I hope to discuss my condition with him and the potential of a clinical trial using a PARP inhibitor.  I am going to the meeting prepared with my questions written down.

This turn of events both excites and worries me.  Exciting in that I may be entering a trial that is part of a larger picture in the future treatment of ovarian cancer.  How pleased I will be if this treatment slows the progression of disease.  But I am also worried that even though the results may be promising for some, what if it is not for me?  What if it does nothing and things just continue to worsen and grow?  Welcome to the thinking process of anyone with disease.

Physically I cannot control what goes on with my body except to take care of it as best I can through nutrition, sleep, exercise and attitude. More importantly calming my mind is the greater challenge.  How do you face the challenge of the condition and remain optimistic, calm and at peace.  It is difficult.  Occupying the mind with tasks and projects is one way that works for me.  Spending time with family and friends is another way.

Filling ones day is not hard.  There is always a myriad of things to be done in and around the house.  Even now in between paragraphs I am watching a robin outside in the backyard.  I wonder if he is scouting for a place to nest.  The key is to keep the mind occupied and focused.  This is one of the reasons I like to sew.  I constantly am thinking about future projects, checking out current fashion trends (I don't dig the current pastel trend), searching online for fabric deals and actually working on the current garment.  Nothing like several hours of concentrated effort in ripping a jacket apart and resewing it to keep my mind free of worry and concern.

I am also planning a trip to Europe this June.  I spend many hours checking out the forums on TripAdvisor to learn everything I can about a location, local culture, transportation challenges, currency, local foods, etc.  Rick Steves's books are my best friends!  I plan most days though I don't plan a minute by minute itinerary.  Lots of down time is allotted because you must spend some time at an outdoor cafe with a coffee or wine and watch the world go by!

1 comment: