Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Chemo #4 December 28th

Chemo went without a hitch today even though we didn't know if I was able to have it.  Let me back up a bit.  Last Thursday on December 23 I had the usual  pre chemo blood work  and then an appointment with the doctor.  They were running way behind due to Christmas but I don't mind so much usually but I was feeling pretty rough due to surgery and just wanted to go home to my couch and blankie. 

Doctor informed me that my liver functions were not up to par and I may not be able to get the chemo treatment on December 28.  We discussed the situation and decided the best route was to come in anyway and get more blood work done to determine if the liver functioning had improved enough for me to accept at least 75 % of the normal dose.  If not, I would be sent home and retry next week. 

Then there was the question of my staples.  I was hoping they could remove them but with their delays that was out of the question.  They suggested I try my family doctor.  This worked out and she saw me the very next day on Christmas Eve after the office was closed at noon.  Her receptionist had already left.  I was quite surprised she would see me but she is very kind hearted.  In about 1/2 hour she removed about 30 staples.  I bet you are feeling some shivers in your belly.... :)

Well today my blood work showed almost normal liver functioning so I was cleared to get 100% dosage.  Long day though.... we weren't home until 4:30 pm.

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Olga! I was glad to read about your Christmas celebrations and also that your chemo happened (although I'm sorry you have to do that - mixed feelings). We had a quiet night in and just ordered from the Mandarin, our usual routine for New Years. Looking forward to coming by sometime soon. Love Jill and Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Jill! Would love a visit! Do you know your Triple Ginger cookies were a big hit around here. Absolutely fabulous. You must send me the recipe!

    ReplyDelete