Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Hey.... I am back online to give you an update on what is happening.  Since my last chemo treatment in February 2011 I have been recovering and living life much like all of you.

In March 2011 we journeyed to Dominican Republic to spend a week at a resort near Puerto Plata.  It was just what the doctored ordered for me.  Plenty of warmth and relaxation.

Dig that wig
I returned to work at a gradual pace and was back full time by end of September.  I was off about 11 months which sounds like a tremendous long time but it went by like a flash.  Even at work it did not seem I was away that long.  Remarkable how quickly you can get back into the swing of things.

As you may know the recurrence rate for ovarian cancer can be high.  Well it's come back.  Things were going along quite well, up to now.  I was working out a couple of times a week at UW Well-FIT, keeping busy with work and even getting some sewing done in my spare time at home.

Right after the long Victoria Day weekend in May (22nd) I started to feel bloated.  I was thinking the amount of fibre in my diet was a little high.  Ha! As time went on my belly started expanding and the slow realization that something was up.  It wasn't a big surprise.  When you've had cancer all you do is think about when it's going to come back.  I was hoping I would get a couple of years under my belt so I could stop thinking about it.....  My doctor sent me for ultrasound (June 5th) and confirmed the swelling was the tell tale ascites.  This is fluid build up in the abdomen caused by the proteins being released by the cancer.

My first appointment with oncologist was June 8th.  She explained that because it had been more than 6 months since my last chemo treatment they recommended the same chemo protocol.  I was actually 17 months cancer free.  But then again this is a misnomer.  If I was indeed cancer free then I wouldn't have it now!  What actually is happening is that the last chemo treatments and surgery didn't get rid of it all.  It lay in wait to resurface.  She also talked about the nature of this disease and how I had now entered the chronic phase.

By June 8th my comfort level due to the fluid build up was dismal.  During my time at the hospital the oncologist performed a paracentesis.  What a relief!  She removed 3.5 litres of fluid from my abdomen.  Gross!  Looked like cloudy beer....

She also added I was scheduled for chemo on June 13th which gave me 2 days at work to get things in order and pass them off.  But before this I was off for a girl's weekend with my pals from work.  So on Friday night we left for fun in the sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment