Saturday, June 30, 2012

Medical Update

June 27 was a busy day for me at the hospital.  There was a Port-a-Cath installed underneath my skin on my chest.  This device is used to deliver chemo or draw blood.  It will be easier than sticking me with needles all the time.  After my reaction to the first chemo treatment it was decided this device would be helpful.  The device is inserted in a surgical session.  I was given a local anaesthetic so I could feel the pressure of the procedure but it was not painful.  It was painful afterwards when the anaesthetic wore off.

Few days after insertion of Port a Cath


Later on that day I came back to the hospital for an appointment with the oncologist.  My regular doctor was away so I met with Dr. Mary DeCarolis which I have met with before.  Purpose of this meeting was to review the results of my CT Scan the week before.  The scan shows there is no cancer on my major organs. Not on the lungs, liver, colon, kidneys, pancreas, etc. etc.  What a relief!  There is some cancer on the remaining omentum in my abdomen.  Last time they removed much of the omentum but it cannot be totally removed.  There is some cancer in my spleen.  And the scan shows some indication of growth on my lower spine but it is not conclusive.  Therefore, I am now scheduled for a bone scan.  My own doctor called later in the day to review this completely with me.  She is a wonderful doctor.  Everyone at the Grand River Cancer Centre is wonderful.



No comments:

Post a Comment