Thursday, June 21, 2012

One chemo treatment is behind me.  Went to the Chemo Lounge for my first chemo cocktail (2nd time around).  Yup.....  the treatment regiment thus far is repeating what we did in Fall 2010 and Winter 2011.  It is the most rational thing to do given it was effective for more than 6 months.  This means I did not have a recurrance within 6 months of my chemo treatment (February 2011).  As mentioned before I have been relatively cancer free for 17 months.

The newest side effect is that my injection arm is a mess.  I don't event want to show you a picture.  It is bruised and red.  It is a reaction to the chemo chemical Taxol which is believed to have leaked out into my arm tissue.  This drug also gave me a fatal reaction the first time it was administered.  This is why before I begin I am given a whole cocktail of stuff to counteract the reaction I experienced September 2010.  Warm damp compresses and some Advil is the recommended treatment.  It will take a while for this to heal and may leave behind scarring that may be visible through the skin.  Anyhow the prognosis is to install a Port-a-cath under the skin on my chest.  They will be able to give me the chemo treatments in this manner and do all the bloodwork as well.  No more IVs.  Sounds good.  Appointment set up for June 27th.

Oh and did I mention that the ascites is still active.  Chemo is supposed to get rid of it but I have only had one treatment.  There was so much build up that I had to go again and get tapped the day after Father's Day.  I was so uncomfortable that Monday morning I called and they had me in by noon.  This time they removed almost 5 litres of fluid.  What a relief!  Since then the build up has has been minimal and I think the chemo is starting to do the job of getting rid of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment