Saturday, July 26, 2014

3rd Treatment of Cisplatin

Just before my last treatment on July  22nd I met with the oncologist as we always do.  My CA 125 is now 150!  As you will recall this number was 597 back in May.  This is wonderful!  Cisplatin is doing the job of knocking down the cancer and we will go the full 6 rounds.  I should be finished up by end of September.

Treatment of Cisplatin is not easy as I have talked about in the the past.  I am admitted to hospital for a couple of days in order to get pre medications into me for 24 hours before we start chemo.  This is to prepare my body to accept (fool) the chemo otherwise I react severely and this is dangerous. I have been on this hyper sensitivity protocol for all 3 infusions.  I must comment that the medical personnel that take care of me while in hospital are fabulous.  They know me and know my situation.  I am under constant care and during my 6 hour infusion of chemo they are close by in case I react.  

It is now the 4th day after chemo with Cisplatin.  My constant headache has finally left me and I feel somewhat normal this morning.  The nausea has decreased considerably and I can manage to eat a regular meal.  Cisplatin has been the hardest chemo to deal with so far.  It may also be because of the pre meds as well.  I am very lucky to bounce back fairly quickly after my chemo treatments.  The tiredness and fatigue is very real but I am able to pace myself throughout the day with small rest periods so that I am not completely non functional.  Good nutrition and mild exercise is very helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment