Sunday, November 14, 2010

Franca's Visit

It was great to see Franca and John this week.  This is a long entry so grab a drink. 

Monday was a lounge day for them and David and I went to HopeSpring in the afternoon for our Healing Journey workshop # 2. 

On Tuesday Franca, Mom and I did some shopping and visited some stores at a local plaza.  Walmart was of interest to Franca because there is not a single one NYC.  Did you know that?  It's not for lack of trying, I suppose, but it hasn't happened.... yet.  Franca believes they might get one in Brooklyn sometime soon.  Anyway, she wanted to find a particular jacket for John that they purchased in Canada several years ago.  Can you imagine they could not find it?  And our local Walmarts do not carry a wide selection of 'big and tall' sizes that would be appropriate for John.

Another shop that they love is the 'Dollarama'.  I love it too.  There are plenty of 'dollar' stores in Queens where they live but none as clean and organized as 'Dollarama'.   Too funny!

Another shopping experience that Franca loves is the 'Bulk Barn'!  This is because it is the only place she can find Dino Sours.  I didn't know what they were.  It's sour candy.

We hit a few other spots but I can't remember.....chemo brain...

That evening we feasted on homemade lasagna at Mom's house.  An added bonus was that Pat and Suzanne were there as well.  It was great to have the whole family.  It doesn't happen often enough.  Pat and Suzanne are in their new house living on the top level while renovations are being done on the first floor.  They are in a fully contained apartment so they have all the conveniences but have only unpacked what they absolutely require.  Renos which were supposed to be completed by October will probably not be finished by Christmas.  Home renovations seem to take longer than expected, don't they?  Some of you know what I am talking about.....right?

Franca, John and I went to Fairview Mall on Saturday for some more shopping.  My main reason for going was to visit the wig shop at The Bay.  And for those of you who thought I should get a blond wig.... well this did not happen.  I look terrible.  Tried on many colours and many styles but nothing was as nice as the one I already have.  Very disappointing.  I am going to try another shop another time but I won't have Franca's eye.  I may have to text her a picture while I am in the shop!

Most important part of the shopping trip for Franca was stopping at a Harvey's for hamburgers.  Again, there aren't any in NYC so she could satisfy her craving.  This was a success!

On Thursday we visited the St. Jacob's market and John was drooling over all the meat for sale by the various butchers.  Unfortunately, they were leaving on Friday morning and couldn't buy any for consumption and they certainly wouldn't be able to take it back to NYC.  This place is huge and I hadn't up to now visited the whole thing.  For us locals, it's a case of rushing to our favourite vendors, make our purchases and dashing out.  It is a zoo, especially on a Saturday in summer/fall.  This is the tourist stop for Kitchener/Waterloo.

Besides the food vendors there are loads of vendors that sell all kinds of stuff.  There are jewelery artisans, ceramics, leather good, gadgets, kitchen wares, etc.  Franca did manage to buy socks for John!  I couldn't convince her to buy a leather fringed cowboy jacket or a slab of a tree with a carving of the wolf or something. A lot of interesting/useless do dads  for sale.  We walked through a corridor to get to a furniture place and happened upon the livestock auctions.  We could not actually go inside due to bio-security regulations but you could sure appreciate the aroma.  This was a little much for our city boy, John.  Ok... I had to put my scarf over my nose.  I blame this on my delicate sense of smell these days.....

Dinner was at our house the last evening of their visit.  Aunt Ginger and Uncle Marty dropped in for dessert and coffee and we had a nice visit.  All too soon it was time to say good bye to Franca and John.  They left very early on Friday morning to get back to Goshen, NY where John's son Peter lives so they could visit.  Hope we see you soon!

1 comment: