Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My Adventures with Percocet

Tuesday was my very worst day yet.  In order to get relief from the pain in my legs, feet and hands Dr. Califaretti prescribed Percocet.  As some of you know this is a combination narcotic Oxycodone and non narcotic pain reliever Acetaminophen.  My first pill on Monday night seemed to work immediately in the pain department but I knew something was up when I lost all my dinner.  David cooked a lovely piece of salmon - what a shame it ended up in the toilet.  I still managed to keep fluids down.  At bedtime I took another pill and loaded up on Senokot and Colace (narcotics give you constipation - who knew?) No pain all night - that was great. By 6 am the pain was back so I popped another pill and some more who know what.....At 9 am I got out of bed and decided to have some breakfast.  I was feeling rather nauseous and my Italian background dictates that I need to eat and soon.  I also took some of my nausea pills which are to be used when the feeling hits.  After my first round of chemo I didn't need any of these.  I gobbled down bowl of something nearby - Apple Cinnamon Cheerios.  Not the best choice but I needed something cold and sweet.  That didn't stay long.  Rest of the day was spent on the couch feeling very poorly and any attempt to drink fluid or eat something did not work out.

By the mid afternoon and feeling out done by medication I put in a call to Pat, my nurse coordinator.  After she got the story she consulted with Dr. and got back to me within the half hour.  I knew they could feel my pain.

They felt I was experiencing a side effect of the Percocet - nausea and vomiting.  My most favourite of all the side effects.  Rather than give me another prescription for either nausea or pain she asked me to just keep taking sips of water to stay hydrated and see what tomorrow will bring.  I was all for that.  I decided I could live with some pain instead of taking another Percocet.

By dinner time I could keep down some mashed potatoes and a bit of chicken.  No more bouts of vomiting and I didn't feel so nauseous.  However, the pain was back but I felt could persevere. 

By this morning I am feeling my old self and the pain in the legs is decreasing all on its own anyway.  No more Percocets!

No comments:

Post a Comment