Monday, October 18, 2010

Week of October 12th

This was a quiet week.  Lots of reading, watching movies and staying put.  Medication for pain ran out Tuesday and luckily I do not have any pain in my legs and joints.  I pretty much felt normal and have energy which is ironic as this week was the period of time after chemo where I was most vulnerable to infection.  I have been doing a little cooking but the kitchen is really David's domain right now.  My mother has been providing welcome additions to my diet as well.  Care packages of homemade chicken soup, gnocchi, homemade pasta, etc.

My hair is now starting to fall out.  Oh joy.... My scalp is tender and if I gently tug at my hair then mittfuls of hair come out.  My pillow at night is full of hair.  I am prepared with my new wig, plenty of scarves and several chemo caps that were made for me by the spouse of a former colleague.  Very thoughtful!  Thanks Heather and Bill!

On Saturday morning I went to Hope Springs to take a Gentle Yoga class.  All the participants are cancer survivors (or in treatment).  This is the most exercise I've had in 2 months and it felt pretty good.  Remember up to my first chemo treatment I looked about 8 months pregnant and walking was a major feat.  Now I am looking more like 5 - 6 months.  I have lost some of that ascites from my abdomen and it feels much better.  Less pressure.  Sleeping is easier as well.  But I still have to remember not to do too much as then I get exhausted and need a nap.  What a life.....

Next appointment at hospital is this Wednesday, October 20th.  Blood work will determine if white blood count and platelets are at normal counts so that I can start the whole cycle again on Thursday with my second chemo treatment.  I am confident all will be fine.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like things are going ok so far. Don't overdo it though. We want you healthy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Olga - First time I Have had a chance to get on line (got home last night). Thanks for sharing all of this. It's good to know we can keep in the know without calling to bug you all the time! It's also good to know that you are feeling somewhat normal (or whatever the "new Normal" is).
    My friend's girlfriend (that I told you about) said that getting a wig and good makeup made her feel a lot better...

    Good luck on Wednesday with the bloodwork (but we'll talk before then!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Suzanne! Glad to hear you are back home. Hope you guys had a great time! Tomorrow Mom and I are going to a 'Look Good, Feel Better' workshop. Plan to pick up some good tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Olga, Glad to read you're feeling a bit more like yourself. Hope all goes well at tomorrow's chemo session.

    ReplyDelete