Thursday, October 7, 2010

Week of October 4th

By Monday I had decided to contact my nurse coordinator Pat to see if there was anything I could do about the muscle and joint pain.  It was excruciating and never let up.  A quick call to the hospital and the triage nurse on duty in the Cancer Centre let me know that I could take Tylenol but to take my temperature first.  It is important not to mask any fever.  She also let me know she would ensure Pat was informed and that Pat would probably call.  She did call and asked how the Tylenol worked.  It really didn't do anything for me so she let me know she would talk to the doctor and probably call in a prescription for me.

Within hours a prescription was waiting at our local Pharma Plus and I started taking a medication called Teva-Gabapentin.  It is used to relieve nerve pain and that it did by the time I went to bed that night.  Finally, a good night's rest!

Of course, every medication has its side effects and this one is no exception.  It makes me a little drowsy and fuzzy headed.  No operating heavy machinery for now.  But the pain has reduced about 80% and that is good enough for me.

Every day is a little better from the previous day.  Appetite is a little better and the fatigue is a little bit less.  I would not go so far as to say I feel normal but I think I have to come to terms about the new normal for now.

I am going out a little bit too.  On Wednesday, David and I visited Hope Springs on Allen St. in Waterloo.  Hope Springs is a not for profit cancer support centre.  They offer a variety of programs for those with cancer and their caregivers.  I got myself a lovely wig for when my hair falls out!

As you probably know chemotherapy is used to kill cancer cells throughout the body.  The chemo drugs interfere with the growth and reproduction of cancer cells.  This is good!  However, they also damage normal cells that grow rapidly such as hair follicles, stomach lining, and blood cells.  One of the side effects is lowered resistance to infection.  This effect begins 7 days after chemo treatment and reaches its lowest point from day 10 - 14.  After this the white blood count begins to improve and should reach normal levels before the next treatment.  For me the lowest point is October 10 - 14.  So if we discourage visitors don't think we don't love you!

2 comments:

  1. Point taken on the visitors....lol! See you in November and we'll go wig shopping!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right, keep those nice visitors away so you don't catch anything from anybody. You have enough to deal with.

    ReplyDelete